If you want to browse the internet in private, you should know how to change IP addresses. Thankfully, you can do it on your gadgets with just a few steps. Find out how you can enhance your internet security today!
We’ll begin with the steps on how to change IP addresses on Windows, Apple, Android, and iOS. Then, we’ll explain what IP addresses are and what they do. We will also talk about the other ways to protect your online privacy.
Nowadays, numerous individuals and organizations can see your internet activity. Fortunately, you can keep your browsing experience private with a few steps. Learn how to do it with all your internet-connected devices with the following steps!
How to change your IP address on PC
- Click the Windows icon and then the Settings icon. It looks like a metal gear. Also, you can just type “Settings” in the search bar on your desktop. Click Settings once it appears.
- In Settings, choose Network & Internet on the top row.
- Go to the menu on the left and click the Status tab.
- Select the Change Connection Properties link on the Control Panel. This will take you to a page where there’s an Edit button under IP assignment.
- Select on the dropdown menu and choose Manual.
- Switch the IPv4 to On.
- From there, you can change your private IP address. You may want just to replace the last number in your address.
How to change your IP address on Mac
- Click the Apple icon found in the top-right portion of your screen.
- Select System Preferences in the dropdown control panel.
- Select the Network icon from the menu. It looks like a shiny circle.
- You may see your current IP address on the Default screen. Specifically, it’s under Network, right under where it states “Status: Connected.”
- Select the “Advanced…” button in the bottom right.
- Then, go to the TCP/IP settings. Choose TCP/IP from the top menu.
- Select Using DHCP with a manual address in the dropdown menu. From there, you may edit the string of numbers that is in the IPv4 Address section.
- Change the IP address however you’d like.
- Click OK.
How to change your IP address on Android
- Tap the Settings icon. It should look like metal gear.
- Go to Wireless & Networks.
- Tap on your Wi-Fi network.
- Select Modify Network.
- Tap Advanced Options.
- You may now edit the IP address.
Note that these steps will be different depending on your smartphone’s brand and model. If these don’t match your device, please check the specific ones on other websites.
How to change your IP address on an iPhone
- Head to the Settings of your iPhone.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap Network.
- Choose IPv4 Address.
- Select Configure IP.
- You may now change the IP address.
What is an IP address in simple terms?
Everyone lives at a certain address. You may find people you know based on their addresses. They’re located in a certain country, state, city, and street.
IP or Internet Protocol addresses work similarly. An IP address is made up of sets of four numbers. It’s a string of numbers divided by periods.
For example, it may look like 126.96.36.199. Each set can go from 0 to 255. An address with the full range will look like 255.255.255.255.
Contrary to popular belief, an address doesn’t have random numbers. It’s mathematically created and assigned by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).
The Internet Protocol lets computers communicate with one another on the internet. All the gadgets worldwide use IP addresses to find, send, and transfer info with others.
The IPv4 protocol is old, though. It became apparent in the 1990s that we’re running out of IPv4 addresses. The creators didn’t anticipate just how many people will use these addresses.
We may run out of addresses soon. That’s why we may adopt a new internet protocol version soon called IPv6. It will look much longer with eight sets of four numbers instead.
How does my IP address work?
If you still don’t understand why you must learn how to change IP addresses, you must learn how they work. Here is a simple rundown of its process:
- Your device connects to the internet by linking to a network connected to it. Then, it will allow internet access to your device.
- That network will likely be your Internet Service Provider (ISP) if you’re at home. At the office, though, it’s your company’s network.
- The ISP will assign an IP address for your device.
- The ISP receives your internet activity and then returns it using your IP address.
Your IP address may change, though. Even simpler, just turn your router or modem off and on again! Aside from changing it yourself, you may call your ISP to do it for you.
If you’re somewhere else, you won’t have your IP address at home. It’s because you’ll use another network from where you are. You’ll have another IP address while you’re there.
Do you want to know your IP address? Follow these steps:
- Type “Command Prompt” in your desktop Search bar
- Click the app that reads Command Prompt. It should have a black box icon.
- Type “ipconfig.”
- Press Enter.
- Look for the line with the words “IPv4 Address.” The set of numbers at the right is your local IP address.
Types of IP addresses
There are different kinds of IP addresses. Those are divided into different categories too. For example, most people and companies have consumer IP addresses.
People and businesses using an internet service plan have two kinds of IP addresses. They have a private IP address and a public IP address. Public ones may be static or dynamic.
Large corporations have servers that run their websites. They will either have a dedicated or shared IP address. Every other website owner depends on a hosting web package.
Most people rely on a web hosting service to run their websites. Their IP addresses can be shared or dedicated. Here are more details about each type:
Types of Consumer IP addresses:
- Private IP address – Every device connected to your private network has one. As you get more gadgets, they establish more network connections. In turn, you add more private IP addresses to your home.
- Public IP address – Your ISP gives a specific IP address for your network. Devices that aren’t included in your network can recognize it using your public IP address.
Types of Public IP addresses:
- Dynamic IP address – ISPs change their customers’ IP addresses regularly. This saves costs in re-establishing the same IP addresses for clients. Also, it may help in stopping hackers from getting into your network.
- Static IP address – Businesses that have a dedicated server must have static IP addresses. Unlike most people, theirs should never change. This allows potential customers to find them much easier.
Types of Website IP addresses:
- Shared IP addresses – These depend on shared hosting plans from their provider. It will run their website along with others on the same server.
- Dedicated IP addresses – Some may buy a dedicated IP address from a hosting web service. This allows multiple people to exchange files among themselves.
You have other ways to keep others from snooping into your online activity. You may choose a DNS server, VPN, or proxy server. Virtual private networks are the best choice, though.
Cryptocurrencies are changing more than just your online browsing experience. As its adoption spreads around the world, you may want to invest in them too.
Learn more about how to change your IP address
How do I get a new IP?
You may change IP addresses via the Network settings of your computer or smartphone. Also, you may ask your ISP to change it for you.
Does every device have a different IP address?
Yes, because it allows other devices to identify a device specifically they are allowing. Websites may share an IP address, though. Some may share a single address depending on their hosting web service.
Can an IP address be traced?
With enough equipment and know-how, anyone can trace your IP address. This is why you may want to change your IP address. Alternatively, you may use a proxy server or a VPN.